Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 6, 2012 Random musings



At the base of the bare skin, is the darker fur
Now that Arri will be losing his leg, I look at it all the time.  I try to picture him in the yard as a tripod.   I watch which way he leans when peeing – gotta have one foot an inch off the ground.  I note which hip he prefers to lay on.  I think I would have to say he is a ‘left footed’ dog.  That is a bummer because that one is going away.  Another interesting thing is that the hair is starting to grow back and I really would like to see how it turns out.  It won’t grow fast enough to know for certain.  What am I talking about?  When I researched radiation, I had read about how it is not uncommon for the fur to be a different color when it grows back.  All of the examples were dark animals with new white patches.  As light colored as Arri is, I did not expect to notice a difference.  The funny thing is, it is A LOT darker.  Arri is very light/cream colored.  His darkest hairs are still sandy.  The hair coming is in caramel colored.  What can I do but take more pictures.  Yesterday I took a bunch from the rear – just his two back legs in a side by side comparison.  Tomorrow  we have a photo shoot to get a nice photo of all 5 dogs before Teva leaves for advanced training and Arri has surgery.  I didn’t really want to delay surgery but once Teva is at school, one less dog will be a bit easier. 
Odd things run through my mind.  I am so glad that I struggled but kept trying to get the right food for Arri.  For 10 years we battled with his weight between 60 and 70 lbs.  I knew he looked best at 60 but keeping him there was next to impossible.  I tried 4 or 5 different foods.  They would take the weight off but I could never find a portion size that would maintain him.  He was a constant yo yo.    1.5 years ago, I tried Pro Plan Shredded Chicken Weight Control.  It was amazing.  The extra pounds dropped off him and it only took a month to get the right adjustment for maintenance.  All through this illness, he has been a steady 57 – 59 lbs.  Not having the extra weight will make it so much easier for him.
Naturally, with all that is going on you would think I wouldn't have time to work.  Sadly, that just is not true.  My customers would not be happy if I called and asked for a few more days.  I officially entered my 'busy' season two weeks ago.  I am up to my elbows in cake and icing.  This weekend alone, I had 4 wedding cakes.  It is very hard to say no to my customers but over the last few years I have gotten better.  They are going to be really upset when they learn I am not going to take any more cakes for the next month - prime graduation time.  It is not unusual for me to work 14 - 16 hours on Wed - Fri to get ready for the weekend.  I just won't be able to do that while Arri is in recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment