Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 1, 2012 Second Chemo?

By breakfast, I had made up my mind to keep the appointment regardless.  I know the Dr. will not talk over the phone about treatment knowing the tumor has changed but not being able to examine it.  Much to her credit, the tech did call before 9:30.  The surgeon said we should come in even if chemo is not done. The change in tumor needs to be looked at.  They had not seen it in 3 weeks so it was much larger than the last time.  I see it every day so I just know it is larger.  Only looking at the photos I have taken can I see just how large it has gotten in such a short period of time.  (Note to anyone with a pet that has a visible medical issue – take photos regularly.  It makes a world of difference to see any changes in color or size)

We arrived to the appointment on time.  Arri was happy to be in the car and just as happy to arrive at the oncology office.  His lamb toy from months ago had been washed and was waiting for him in the reception area.  The first step was for the tech to take him in back and give him a once over.  I got the impression she was going to do blood work.  This was a different tech than the one that called so I don’t think she had yet realized chemo wasn’t going to happen.  I pointed out the lump in his tush so they could check it.  To the back he went for vitals check etc. 

He returned to a patient room with Dr. Obradovich.  She confirmed the mass she found was the same one I found.  We discussed the growth of the tumor and lack of effectiveness for the chemo.  There are other chemo drugs but the Carboplatin is supposed to be the most effective.  Since it was not effective on Arri, it is very unlikely that another drug would work.  Back to the treatment area he goes to have the two lumps aspirated.  When Arri returns, I learn that both lumps are lipomas – fatty tumors.  Nothing to be concerned about. 

On to the serious discussion.  What is next?  I have 3 options. 

One;  stop treatments and let the cancer grow unchecked.  At some point the cancer will affect a major body system and he will die. 

Two: try metronomic chemotherapy.  This one has come up before.  It is a daily at home pill, low dose chemo.  I think this might be the first time I learned or it sank in, how it is different from regular chemo.  Regular chemo attacked the cancer itself.  If I understand correctly, metronomic attacks the blood supply to the tumors.  How it does not attack the blood supply in the whole body is a mystery to me.  The same way aspirin knows to take care of the pain in your back and midol is for cramps.  Just how does the medicine know to go where it is supposed to?

 Three:  amputation.  This is the best and final treatment option at this point.  Even though it has been floating around in the back of my head for 4 months, it now has to be seriously considered.  All other methods have been ineffective.  All Drs and techs involved think Arri would adjust just fine.  It will be much harder on me than on him.  Dr Obradovich would do hip x-rays before continuing forward to ensure Arri could tolerate being a tripod.  I authorize the x-rays to be done right then.  Might as well get it over with.   While I am pretty sure his hips are fine, no point in struggling over a decision that becomes a non-option if his hips are bad.

When the tech brings Arri back from x-rays, she tells me they weren’t quite sure how that (getting x-rays)  was going to go.  They are well aware that Arri is a dork.  They needed to put him up on the table and have him lay still on his back.  They didn’t sedate him at all.  If I had known that ahead of time, I would have wished them luck.  Arri doesn’t mind being on his back and getting a belly rub but up on a table is different from a soft, comfy sofa, the floor or a bed.  They were very pleased when they got him in position, he just relaxed and stayed in place.  Both Dr Obradovich and Dr Walshaw (surgeon) reviewed the x-rays and declared him good to go.  Now, I just have to decide what to do. 

We leave the appointment with an estimate for surgery costs and two weeks worth of metronomic chemotherapy drugs and anti-inflammatory.  Arri still has to have a good blood test before he can start the chemo but I will have them when I need them.  If we don’t use them, I can return them and be refunded for the cost.  Tim was not at the appointment so deciding about surgery has to wait.  On the drive home, I call Dr Mike to make an appointment for a blood test next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment