Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

April 30, 2012

Time to visit the vampire.  Arri, Teva and Oregon are headed to the vet.  Oregon for his 3rd set of puppy shots, Teva to get weighed in one last time before leaving for college and Arri to get bit by the vampire.  He needs to get a chem panel and CBC test to see how his blood is before his chemo appointment tomorrow.

After our local vet visit, I got a call from the oncologist office confirming Arri’s appointment for tomorrow.  I let her know they should be getting a fax with the blood test results.  She said they already received them but she did not think they had been reviewed yet.  I asked that they review them and call me yet today with the results, explaining that in the morning will be too late based on what time I need to leave to arrive at our appointment.

I didn’t think they were going to call but at 5:30, the phone rang.  The tech said one of Arri’s numbers was low and she did not think the Dr would want to do chemo tomorrow.  The Dr was gone for the day so I could ask no questions. Or I should say, I wasn’t going to get many answers.   I told the tech the tumors are growing and I felt a lump higher up on the leg.  Do I keep the appointment or reschedule?    This brought up an interesting schedule issue.  The tech wasn’t sure what was going to happen but she would talk to the Dr in the morning.  I pointed out that if they wanted Arri to come in, I had to know by 9:30 in order to make our 12:00 appointment.  I can only say my blood pressure went up in frustration when she said the oncologist won’t be in until 10:00.  She did make a note to talk to the surgeon right away in the morning and call me before 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment