Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21, 2012: Surgery day!


May 21, 2012

Everyone sing with me….doo do do doo do, dooo do dooo do do.....Oh what a night…late December back in ’63……

Yes, it was quite a night. Knowing I had to get up at 5 am, I tried to go to bed early, just as a thunderstorm was starting.  Normally I can sleep through thunder but this storm was distracting.  I finally fell asleep forgetting to put Oregon in his kennel.  (Tim was still up).  I wake up a little before 11 and find he is next to me on the bed.  With the help of a cookie, Oregon goes to his kennel.  10 minutes later I hear him scratching at the floor.   I turn on the light to make sure all is well and he is sitting up with his paw raised as if in question.  I get up to check and don’t see anything but then I smell it.  Lake Oregon had been absorbed by the carpet mat in his kennel.  I tell him that raising his paw in the dark will not get the necessary attention to get the kennel door open.   The storm was still in full fury so Oregon got to hurry in the rain.

Fast forward to 1:30 am; It is still storming.  Golden girl Summer does not like storms.  She quivers and shakes and tonight or should I say, this morning, she chose to be sick.  She had been quivering at Tim’s head and managed perfect placement between the mattress and headboard.  She nailed the sheet, headboard, both mattresses, the wall and floor.  It was also one of the most foul smelling things.  The cleaning begins and there is not nearly enough Lysol and the Febreeze is MIA.  Summer ends up in a kennel for the rest of the night.

Fast forward to 4:30 am.  Still raining but the storm has passed. I think I slept a bit.   Summer is once again sick in the kennel.  This one was much easier to clean up – Thanks Tim!!!!  I had 30 minutes left to sleep.

5:00 am  When I exit the bathroom after showering, I see lights are on, all dogs are up and Tim is dressed.  What’s up??  While I was in the bathroom, Summer was barking at the front door to go out.  Boy that girl has issues today.  I really hope Tim can get some sleep today as he has to work tonight.  That is one good thing.  He does still have time to get some zzzz’s.  I, on the other hand have to load up the car for Operation Arri.  I should mention him since this is supposed to be about him. 

The final photo before surgery 5.20.12
We arrived at the clinic in good time without driving though rain.  Arri was happy to be there, as always.  He weighed in at 57.6 lbs.  After talking with the surgical tech, reviewing medication and getting a little insight about pick up and follow-up, Arri headed to the back room.  He walked so nicely to ‘THE DOOR’ and once it was opened, he started pulling to the back treatment area.  What a goof.  It is a rare dog that gets excited about getting stuck with a needle, poked, prodded and drugged.  Maybe it’s all about the drugs.

Let the waiting begin…………..

5:04 p.m.   Dr. Walshaw finally calls.  Ok, so this was the time I pretty much expected him to call but I can always hope Arri wasn’t the last surgery of the day.  Arri is doing well, resting comfortably.  The surgery went well.  They won’t send the tumors in for biopsy because they know what that is but they are sending in a lymph node from behind the knee to check.  I am not sure if it was suspicious or if this is precautionary to verify the cancer had not spread.  I will get clarification tomorrow.

I seriously hope the song ‘oh what a night’ leaves my head soon.

1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to you and your family, Dee. I'm so sorry you have to go through this with your sweet Arri.

    ReplyDelete