Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April 18, 2012


I have noticed that the hair on Arri’s leg is growing back.  Yeah!  Although if I had my choice, I would rather the leg be permanently bald and the cancer gone.  I know chemo doesn’t work instantly but I was kind of hoping to notice a change.  The waiting is really annoying.  Arri has not shown any side effects.  I guess his blood work came back fine.  I called the oncologist to see if he needed a refill on the Amoxacillian.  I was told to finish giving him what he had and he should not need any more unless he starts to appear ill.  At that point, he will need a blood test first but then he may need more.

At the first meeting with the oncologist, I was told that the more treatment you do on the cancer, the greater change you have of the cancer changing.  It may spread more or become more aggressive.  I have noticed that the current cancer is growing differently.  Before, it was firm but stayed fairly round.  The current growths start round but now seem to be growing like a cookie in the oven – spreading out more horizontal than vertical.  The area of growth is roughly 2.25 inches by 1.25 inches.  There are many ‘pebbles’ that have merged together.  I was not thrilled after the last surgery – that the doctor did not remove the additional 3 growths I had found.  Now I know it does not matter.  Within a week of removing the cast, I had found two more growths.  Even if he had removed all that I had found, the cancer would have been showing it’s ugly face in a matter of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment