Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 24, 2012: Post amputation day 3

My eyes are brimming with tears of pride at my boy.  He is just incredible. 

Let’s back up a bit.  Remember that ban of sleeping on the bed.  Yeah, well, toss it out the window.  I climbed into bed and Arri started pacing and bobbing his head.  He wanted to jump and it was just a matter of time before he tried.  Yes, I caved.  I lifted him up onto the bed.  I figured, if a single step intimidated him, he would not try to jump off the bed.  I felt him shift a few times but he stayed with me. 

The first moment of pride:  I pulled Arri to the edge of the bed and let his front legs slide off – similar to getting him out of the van.  I stabilized the back while he managed the front.  As he stepped forward, I guided the back leg down.  From there, Arri needed no help.  He barreled through the house to the front door.  I got there before him and opened it.  No hesitation what so ever.  He went down the step to the grass, peed, turned around and headed back to the door.  He waited for me at the door.  Going up still requires a little ‘leg up’.  I put the sling under his belly and wait.  When he is ready, he puts his front legs on the step while I support and lift the back and he steps forward.  Once his back leg is on the carpet, I drop the sling and he goes where he wants.

Today might be interesting now that Arri is growing in confidence and ability.  Tim worked night shift so he gets home at 6 am and goes to bed.  Typically, Arri will eat, toilet and go back to bed with Tim.  The problem is that he will jump on and off the bed during the day to check on me.  I get out of the shower to find Tim had lifted Arri up onto the bed.  Ok, we will just roll reverse, I will check on Arri today.  Into the office to play some games before heading downstairs to the dungeon – I mean bakery.  After 5 minutes, Tim comes in and says – ‘so much for him not jumping’.   Here is a moment of pride, terror and a few new grey hairs.  I say – ‘you helped him right?’  Tim:  ‘no, he didn’t give me time, he just jumped’.  Tim said he didn’t fall or stumble but landed, got his balance and kept hopping.  Good grief.  I can not believe I was ever even slightly worried about how Arri would respond to amputation.  This dog is a NUT.

I am going to have to baby gate the stairs to the basement.  I suspect he will try to come visit me in the bakery today.
The bruising is worse still.  Arri is bruised in areas I had no idea would get bruised.  It is like it is traveling up his belly.  I did send photos to the doctor to make sure this was normal and I was told yes.  All is well and to keep using the dry hot packs.
Youknow you are REALLY a dog person when you take photos of your dog's nether regions and post them on facebook without a second thought. My mom is probably rolling her eyes and wondering why I don't have girl dogs : )


No comments:

Post a Comment