Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 23, 2012: Post amputation day 2

Some things I left out from yesterday.

The incision is roughly 9 inches long.  His bruising got worse as the day progressed.  I am hoping my ineptitude with the sling did not cause even more.

I am looking forward to getting Arri’s harness.  He can wear it all day and I can grab on when he needs help.  I don’t have to chase around with the sling.  I think sometimes he sees me coming and thinks ‘drat, why won’t she leave me alone’.  We have only been doing this for a day and he is already giving me that look.

I was warned that it will be a rough couple of nights.  Honestly, I think Summer was worse on Sunday but last night was not fabulous.  Arri sleeps on the bed with me.  He is not allowed to jump right now and even if I lift him up there, he will not wait for me to lift him off so he is banned from the big bed.  This led to some pacing on his part.  In the end, I moved to the floor but by midnight, he still couldn’t settle in so I climbed back in bed where it was warm.  I bought him a nice bed that is similar to the mattress but he would not sleep on it. Oregon loves it.  Sigh

At 3:30 I woke up to the sound of licking.  I really hate that sound.  It will wake me up every time. It doesn’t matter what body part is being cleaned.  Arri was in the doorway licking in the vicinity of the wound.  I started the ‘do you need to go out?’ game and he gave me the blank stare with a slight wiggle of the tail.  After 5 minutes of this game, I crawled out of my warm, snuggly bed to see what the issue was.  The answer?  No he didn’t need to go out but I needed to get the carpet cleaner going.  I guess a treat of canned dog food wasn’t a treat at all.  At least it smelled better than Summer barf…if you can believe that. 

A  little after 4 am, I made everyone go out.  If I had to be awake so did they.  They happily took care of business.  The single step in and out of the house is still kicking our butt.  Arri made it to the grass without stopping and was ready to turn around and get back inside.  We are having some issues with the other dogs in the house blocking the way. 

Arri ended up in the inflatable e-collar after licking last night.  He looks miserable.  He did have a little bloody discharge this morning but it has dried up.

I have taken the day off work, mostly.  No baking.  Just paperwork and phone calls.  Since Arri likes to hang with me in the office, it works out well.  Today is such a beautiful day that we take a book and sit in the yard enjoying the sun and breeze.  The ulterior motive is to get him to go to the bathroom.  He has been having toxic gas releases all day but nothing solid.  Yesterday we were celebrating poop, today we are begging for it.

He is really moving much quicker.  He tires after only a few feet but that is pretty amazing.  I purchased a few more carpet runners this morning and now he can confidently  maneuver around the whole upstairs on non-skid floor. 

Tim was on duty while I went to the grocery store.  Arri barked and greeted me at the door as though nothing was different….until Oregon pushed him over.

The bulk of the drugs are out of his system.  His eyes are bright and when I sat to tell him a story, his ears perked up and his head cocked from side to side as though truly interested. It was a story about a 3 legged dog that barked at the door to go outside to potty.  Arri thought I was telling a fairytale.  His old self is back.

6:00 pm.  Time to get Arri outside to toilet.  I had to force him to stand and prod him to the door but once he got moving, he didn’t hesitate.  I didn’t have to do anything to get him down the step.  Wow.  Let’s hope that wasn’t a one time try.

I was right.  Arri is a lefty.  He keeps trying to lay on the missing leg.  Tonight he managed it.  Once in position, it must be ok, but he is going to hurt when he tries to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment