Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

January 30, 2012:

Treatment 15:  What a gorgeous April day.  Considering it is still January, that is saying something.  50 degrees and sunny.  We live in the Lake Effect snow band along the southwest corner of Michigan.  This time of year it is normally in the teens, maybe 20’s and we have had a good 20 – 30 inches of snow.  I am pretty sure we are still under 8 inches for the season.  The daffodils are already poking out of the ground.  15 month old Teva (puppy in training) is not going to live to 16 months if he doesn’t stop digging up the little green sprouts poking out of the dirt.
Tim and I both made the trip today.  Good thing.   Kathy was on vacation again today.  I am even happier the appointment last Friday was cancelled. I don’t think I could have handled the sub for two appointments.   I am sure the sub technician is a competent worker but she lacks experience or maybe it is intelligence.  I didn’t realize Kathy was gone until the sub brought Arri out after treatment. 
They did not fully wake him up again.  They gave him a shot of downers to keep him subdued.  The sub mentioned she gave it to him ‘because of the way he cries, you know’.    HUH??????  What in the world is she talking about?  I should have stopped and asked right at that moment but Arri’s current condition was more important.  He could not stand.  Hoist his rear up and it fell back down.  She was half dragging him down the hall by herself without a sling under his rear.  Tim ended up carrying him out to the car.  He was a glassy eyed, basset hound again.  He pretty much passed out for the ride home.  Occasionally he would lift his head.   I should have brought toe nail clippers.  He is much nicer about that when he is unconscious.
So tomorrow, I will have a little chat with Kathy.  First, what is this thing about him crying?  Was the sub confusing him with another dog?  Second, the sub needs to know that if the dog can’t walk, she should help him before he hurts himself.
The wound is larger today or maybe it is just that some hair has fallen out around the edge.  He is limping a bit more as well.   I have grounded him from going to the park today.  All the snow has melted and the park will be a muddy mess.  I don’t want to get mud splashed up on his leg.
Whether it was the drugs, fighting disease or a combination, Arri did not play tonight.  For the last 3 nights, he has been very active playing his favorite game of poke and tug.  He pokes you with his toy until you grab it.  Then you tug with him until you get tired because you will tire before he does.  Then he starts poking again.  He really likes to do this outside with a wet tennis ball when you are wearing nice pants.
So much for thinking today would be a routine day with nothing to comment on.           

No comments:

Post a Comment