Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 1, 2012:

This is my normal happy boy
Treatment 17:  Someone is about to be banned from giving prescriptions.  Yesterday I gave an educational lesson on prescriptions and the need to read the labels.  I explained what pills are given at what time of day.   I woke up to another note saying what was given.  Again, two meds were given.  (He only is supposed to get one).  At least today, he was not double dosed on pain meds.  I am glad tomorrow is the last day of 4:30 am feeding.
Today’s lesson is on hygiene.  Since Arri is in the cone 24/7, I have been remiss in maintaining proper hygiene.  When I rolled Arri on his back the other day, I realized his belly was a bit crusty.  Aside from his normal bodily issues, he lays on his wound, transferring lotion and stuff to his belly.  So as long as he is in the cone, he will be getting sponge baths as well.  Since he lays nicely while I soak the wound, Arri is allowed to have the cone off during that time.  It is pretty clear that not being able to groom himself bothers him. 
It was a pretty routine treatment today.  For his birthday, the office gave Arri a honking beaver toy to take home with him.  Of all the dogs I have seen go in and out of the clinic, Arri is the only one that is playful and grabbing the toys.
The house is quiet tonight.  The three stooges (Glamis, Summer and Teva) went to day care today so they are very tired.  You gotta love doggie day care.  Arri is feeling better. He was trying to instigate a game of Poke ‘em using a stuffed polar bear.  He has a huge advantage since he uses the cone of shame as a weapon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment