Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 9, 2012

Even at 13, Arri can do some things for the very first time.  Today was a big one.  As a young dog, Arri was a runner.  Given the opportunity, he would bolt into the ravine after any and every smell he came across, not to mention a dip in the creek.  People talk about dogs being able to find their way home…not Arri.  He has the brains, just not the attention span.  Deer, possum, raccoon, squirrel…..he just runs with the scent.
Today, Arri and I went on a walk.  Arri brought along his hedgehog.  He has never gone on an ‘unleashed’ walk before. There was no traffic or people or dogs out so I dropped the leash and said ‘let’s go’ and we went.  Arri walks faster than I do so he was a car length ahead the whole time but proudly showing his hedgehog the neighborhood.  He would pause and check on me.  Once he was sure I was doing ok, he moved on.  I think he had a very enjoyable walk today.  It’s funny, he only stopped to sniff one time.  If I had been holding the leash, he would have been sniffing every mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment