Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 2, 2012:

February 2, 2012:  Happy Groundhog day and a VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY LAST DAY OF RADIATION!!!!!   Between the beautiful weather and this being our last daily trip across the state, spring fever has hit.  There is no snow, the birds are singing, the plants are sprouting.  I hate to remind myself that it is just the start of February.
Despite being happy, I am a bit nervous going into this appointment.  I have no idea what happens next.  I haven’t talked to the Dr. since our first appointment on Jan 5th.  I have no clue what the follow up schedule will be like.  How long does Arri stay on meds?  Always more questions, but today we get some answers.

'The beaver'

Before leaving, I took a quick look at the wound.  Then I took a closer look.  From a slight distance, it looked like a grey mold was growing over the wound.  Not quite a scab.  Upon closer inspection, it looked like matted hair.  Since he has no hair there at the moment, this was odd.  I gently grabbed and edge to see how attached it was to his leg.  It peeled off about as easy as a bandage.  It was indeed icky.  The wound is attracting loose dog hair.  It clings on to either the aquaphor or wound ooze and then dries. Blech…just one more thing I have to watch out for.  The entire edge of the wound looks like this.  By gently grabbing it, I am pulling out the hair and and gunk build up. I am not allowed to scrub or wash the area so fingernails it is.  It will take awhile to clean it all.  Some areas are clearly more sensitive than others.

Arri's graduation bandana

We had good driving weather and a routine treatment.  Maybe Arri understood it was his last day.  He came charging out of treatment as though they had not even sedated him.  He did sway once but really, he was very alert.  As a ‘graduation’ gift, he has a new bandana with his name on it.  We have two weeks worth of refills for pain meds, anti-inflammatory and now an antibiotic.  The next two weeks will be about wound care and healing.  We go back for a check up on Feb. 15th.    

No comments:

Post a Comment