Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January 20, 2012

Treatment 10:  We are half way there!   Scary driving predicted for today.  We are supposed to get 7 – 9 inches of snow.  They say it won’t start until later in the day.  Let’s hope they are right and I am home before it gets bad.
The treatment seems to be going well. I am now wondering how they will know if they got the cancer.  I don’t think I ever asked.  He started treatment with a ¼ inch growth.  At one point last week, I was certain it was larger.  It is clearly more defined than it had been.  There is no question, when you look from a distance, that there is a lump on his leg.
Kathy said healing is a process.  I know from the early inquiry that the worst side effects may not happen until a week after treatment ends.  The same is true of knowing if everything we are going through will work.  At this point she does not believe the growth has changed.  Considering how quickly it grew, the fact that it has stopped growing is a good sign.   The area of treatment is a bit darker pink.  We have to wait for follow up visits to know for certain if the cancer is gone.  There is something else I failed to ask.  How often and how long will follow up last? 
Since our appointment is over the lunch hour, I usually pack a lunch.  I am happy to share my apple or orange with Arri.  Arri may be my first dog but I didn’t bring him home last week.  After close to 13 years, I should know better.  He is the dog that can’t hear me calling him from 5 feet away and yet can hear the peanut butter cabinet open from 4 rooms away.  For some silly reason, I made a PB & J to eat on the way home.  Never bring peanut butter when you are with a dog having drug induced munchies.  I was glad of two things. 1.  He did not climb in my lap while I was driving to steal the sandwich and 2.  He did not drool on my cell phone.  I let him lick my fingers when I was done and then gave him a slice of apple.  I will not be bringing peanut butter again.
The snow held off, mostly.  About 50 minutes from home, the flurries started.  20 minutes from home, the roads were pretty bad – icy and poor visibility.  We got home without too much delay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment