Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

January 25, 2012:

Treatment 13:  The cone of shame is ready for use if he doesn’t stop licking the leg.  Whether he is licking because of pain or because of the lotion, doesn’t matter.  Kathy will be upset with him if he keeps licking.
Once again, no issues with the weather.  I am so grateful for that.  Arri needed a little encouragement to go with Kathy again today.  He would gladly follow her for a treat but since he is fasting at that point, she can’t use that trick.   He came out of treatment like a bull in a china shop.  He was really amped up today, dragging Kathy down the hall.  We had him relax in the waiting area for a few minutes.  He would have been a real handful in the car. 
I did spread the food around the back of the van and it helped a little.  Instead of a 15 second meal, it took him 45 seconds.  He is back to sitting in the front seat.  He just doesn’t want to lie down and relax. 
We stopped at Iskape Audiobooks on the way home.  Fellow puppy raisers, Dyan and Steve, own the store.  I traded in some books and Dyan invited Arri in the store.  He was so happy to run around (no one else was there so I didn’t have the leash on).  Arri  sniffed almost every inch of the place.  He was grinning from his adventure for a good part of the way home.  Thanks Dyan : )
I quickly realized that the cone of shame is necessary.  Poor Arri, he will probably have to wear it for 2 – 3 weeks.  Coincidentally, I was looking at the catalog ‘In the Company of Dogs’.  They have a t-shirt that says “it’s all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone”.  Made me laugh.  I may have to get one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment