Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

January 26, 2012:

Treatment 14:  I woke up at 1 am thinking I was about to burst into flames.  My side was plastered by dog from armpit to ankle.  Why do they feel it is necessary to touch the heat source?   I was never able to fall back into a deep sleep.   It is going to be a long day on the road.   
34 degrees with lots of clouds, some mist, some rain but no ice or snow.  Not too bad. Today was a day of impatient drivers trying to push me out of the way.  I was very happy when one particularly annoying driver flew past me.  5 minutes later, I passed him as he was discussing his day with a police officer. : ) 
Kathy must have seen us pull in the lot.  She met us at the side door.  Arri was more than happy to go in and see her.  New door, must be a different outcome.  Before she took him back, I pointed out the collar bone/chest growth.  I asked her just to look at it while he was under.  It is still too small and mobile to hit with a needle.   They measured it and we will both watch it.  I also mentioned that I thought Arri’s foot looked a little swollen.  She wasn’t surprised.  It came a little sooner than she expected.  Apparently we are into the worst of the side effects.  So now with we have an anti-inflammatory prescription to add to the pain meds.
When he came out of treatment, Kathy said they gave him a watered down version of the wake up drug (insert 15 syllable medical name here).  He has been waking up very quick and ready to run.  This way, he would be more subdued on the ride home.  He sure was.  He looked like a basset hound with the saggy eyes and droopy head.   Arri climbed in the front seat again but wouldn’t lie down.  He was still so weak his front legs were quaking.  I pulled over to the side of the road and  learned that the passenger front seat reclines almost flat.  Once I did that, he laid down and slept the rest of the trip.  Only took me 14 trips to figure that one out.
1-26-12:  some swelling, bleeding is from the edge of the e-collar

No comments:

Post a Comment