Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Jan 7...back to the vet

Well, this hypochondriac mother needs to cut back on caffeine or something.  With Arri not showing an increased interest in food and what seemed to be shallower breathing.  I called and got an appointment to see the vet.

It turned out to be unnecessary but it was informative and helpful.  Arri is down 2 lbs from last week.  He showed the most energy of the day thumping his tail and wiggling while laying down.  Arri was more than happy to eat the cookies offered to him. He even left everyone's fingers attached.  One of the workers went through chemo and said that it caused her taste buds to change.  Certain things she used to love, she couldn't stand the smell.  She had cravings for other (sometimes unusual) foods.  I learned is that it very well could be more than a week before his spirits perk up - although it was good to see him so happy to see everyone at the vet.   I guess that means he needs more visitors.   Decreased appetite is not at all unusual and may take a while to come back.  I understood this much better when I was given a 14 day supply of appetite stimulant.  Oh- it can take that long.   They offered him some different canned food.  He seemed to like the baby food best.  He has been preferring small bites of food.  He is actually chewing his food but he does want to bite pieces in half.  With this said, it was suggested that I add water to any food I offer and mash it up.  Make it easier to just swallow down.  It is moments like that that mean a lot.  It seems like a very simple solution but it never crossed my mind.

And then I learned that I was taking his current condition for granted.  I was worried about slightly shallower breathing.  The vet said he was honestly amazed at how well Arri was doing considering the x-rays.  Dogs with x-rays like Arri's don't act like Arri is acting.  He also said that in talking with the people at MSU, they also were amazed by how well he was doing.

Hug your pups and cherish the time you have.  They leave us far, far too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment