Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jan 13: hydration project

So yesterday mom decided I am not drinking enough water.  Yes, I did turn my nose up at every offering and she only caught me drinking one time.  Since I never move, she assumes I never got up to drink.  She might be right.  But if I give in and just drink plain, old tap water, I won't find out just how inventive she can be.

Today's goal for mom was to get me to drink more.  I gave her a good pee this morning but she knew I hadn't gone in 11 hours so it better be a good one.  Mom researched re hydrating dogs on the internet and now Pedialyte is on the shopping list for tomorrow but in the mean time, she is going to try some other tricks, I just know it.  She is already making my canned mush with 2:1 ratio of water to mush but I am not eating much mush.  I prefer meatloaf and Eukenuba.  Straight water?  Forget it, I'm not interested.  She hasn't offered chilled, bottled water yet.  I wonder when that will happen?  At noon, I was offered canned mush.  I ate the token 3 bites and quit.  At 2:00, I was offered the same bowl of mush.  Seriously?  You think I want leftover mush?  I took a taste and something was different.  I ate the whole bowl.  It was yummy.  Mom said something about beef bull-yon.  Not sure what it is but I liked it.


Maybe I was a little dry because awhile later, after Oregon had harassed mom about being bored silly, all the stuffed toys arrived in the room and I was ready to play.   I really wanted to destroy the toys but I was up for a game of tug.  Mom was very happy to see me playful.

For dinner, mom tried to offer me the silliest meal.   She knows I like meatloaf and Euk. - on separate sides of the plate, don't mix them.  I eat the meatloaf then the Euk.  She brings out this bowl of  lord knows what.   She called it Chicken Rice Meatloaf Eukenuba Pumpkin casserole.  I forgot to mention mom made a pumpkin pie today.  She let me have a spoonful of pumpkin and I liked it so for some reason, now it is mixed in with my food.  Give me the pie, don't mix it with the  meatloaf.   Since this whole episode began at the New Year, I have not wanted chicken and rice is gross.   One bite and I was done.  I am a food connoisseur not a garbage disposal.  The other dogs in the house will eat anything.  Not me, I don't have to.  I send the dinner back to the chef and ask for the usual.  Why do I have a feeling I am going to see that bowl again and mom is going to call it bull-yon?  Any bets on whether I eat it?  

I finally gave in and sucked down half a bowl of water.  Now maybe mom will stop messing with the menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment