Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Jan 5 Arri has trained me well.

After refusing breakfast, I went to the store for chicken and rice to make for Arri for lunch.  I didn't want to start him on special food just yet but he does need to eat something.

Around 1:00 I gave him a small meal of chicken and rice.  He only ate part of it.  Every time I walk through the kitchen, I grab a piece of kibble or biscuit and he eats those pretty quick.  Since he is not eating or drinking much I am not making him go outside.  As soon as he went to the door on his own, I jumped up and let him out.  I was so happy he was motivated enough to move.  He did what he needed to do and all was good.  Dinner was more chicken and rice.  Now this is how quickly Arri trained me.  Yes, he is already getting an extra meal and it is special food.  But now I am not even making him get up to eat.  I brought his dinner to him and let him lay down while eating.  Spoiled dog?  Maybe a little.  He managed to telepathically convince me to give him a bite of my bread with peanut butter on it.

I believe his lethargy and disinterest in food is a side effect of the chemo.  The doctors certainly did not give me an imminent end attitude.  Still, i touch his paw or scratch his ears often enough to annoy him.  And at the moment, Tim or I has to be at the house with him.  No reason other than I just don't want to leave him alone.

Annie replied to Arri's e-mail today.  What I didn't mention before is that Annie is also very close to the end. Her illness is slightly different but she was in the hospital at the same time as Arri with fluid in her lungs too. They took slightly different routes in getting there, but they are on the same road to the Rainbow Bridge now.  Arri was hoping to get there first so he could prepare the place for her and show her around but it may happen the other way around.  Everything Arri and I go through we think of Annie and her mom and pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment