Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Jan 5 Home!!!!

It was only 2 days at the MSU Vet hospital but it was a very long two days.

I'll start with yesterday.  Around 11:30 am, The oncologist called to review Arri's condition.  He was eating well and in high spirits.  He is such a flirt, I don't doubt he was having fun despite all the needles and tests.  The good news was that the mass on his liver did not appear to be cancer.  The bad news was that all the rest of the masses were.  In addition, they were at a fairly advanced stage.  Arri had chest x-rays and ultrasounds back in September and was declared clean.  So all of this has grown and spread in less than 4 months.

Checking out at MSU:
Hey mom!   Do you see the cookie jar by your elbow?
Those are for me!!  gimme one
As far as treatment, we have two choices.   A chemo injection that is repeated every 3 weeks.  It can also be injected right into the mass in the chest for more specific treatment.  The other treatment was an oral chemo that is taken 3 days a week at home.  Since time is a factor I chose to go with the injection.  There may be more side effects because the dose is higher but it also may be more effective in the short term.  We did not even talk about radiation.  They have to sedate him for that and his lungs are already compromised.

I picked up Arri at 4:00 on Jan 4.  He was happy and playing the 'I'm disabled' game.  They were using the sling with him.  I met the Oncologist and then we walked over to check out.  I didn't use the sling and Arri was fine.  The Dr thought that was pretty funny and was impressed with his attitude considering he is fairly sick.

The drive home was quiet.  He is breathing much easier.

Arri teaching Freckles the proper way to watch my back.
Once home, he was inspected by the other dogs.  Oregon was a bit pushy but never knocked him down.  It didn't take long to notice he was feeling weak.  His rear end was riding low when he walked.   A side effect of the chemo - at least for a few days.   Inside the house, I sat at the computer and he immediately was back to work, guarding my back.  He must have been training his successor because Freckles the cat, Summer and Glamis were close by him.  Yep, Oregon was in the other room killing a toy.

I lifted him onto the sofa but he seemed fidgety.  Like he couldn't get comfortable.  Possibly because he was pinned by two other dogs.  He needs a bit more space now.   Last night everyone was in the kennel except Arri.  He only had to share the bed with me.  Even then, he wanted his own space and not my space.  He did seem to have a good night.

This morning, he didn't get off the bed until I picked him up and moved him.  He had no interest in breakfast. Yes, this concerned me ALOT.  The hospital said he was eating fine.  I took a deep breath and remembered he just had a big chemo shot and nausea can be a side effect.  He ate a baby carrot and a piece of pupperoni but turned his nose up at a banana.  i won't force him to eat with special food just yet as it may just be the chemo.  I will offer him a bunch of small meals during the day - chicken and rice is always a winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment