Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Jan 6 Eat puppy, Eat!

This morning I didn't force Arri to get out of bed with everyone else.  He would get up when he needed to.  It was not long after everyone was fed that he did get up and go to the door.  He seemed to have some energy so I was hopeful about breakfast.  Boy was I wrong.  He completely turned his nose up at turkey and rice.  He also refused:  cooked egg, dry kibble, canned kibble, cold chicken and much to my amazement - peanut butter on bread.  He took one bite and not another of:  baby carrot, meatloaf, bread and yogurt.  The only thing he would eat happily was Old Mother Hubbards Classic biscuits.  The goof ball will only eat cookies for breakfast.  Since it was the only thing he would touch, I gave in and he got a handful.    I am hopeful that as the day goes on, he will take something of a bit more nutrition.  He always loved popcorn so during the football games, I will see if he will eat some - no salt added.

Oregon and Summer are never far away when
Arri is getting his mini meals hand fed to him.
I was briefly encouraged after church when Arri gladly accepted a piece of hamburger and a chunk of canned food.  When the other 3 dogs went to the park, I fixed Arri a bowl.  He turned his nose up at it.  I gave him a few more cookies and he ate them.  Tim took him for a short trip to the park.  He really wanted to go.  He didn't go far but he enjoyed the trip.  While there, he ate a few carrots and 2 handfuls of kibble.  So I think now we know the game he is playing.  Some food still doesn't appeal to him but what food he will eat must be hand fed to him.  Well, if that is what it takes, we will do it.  Really small amounts of food seem to be better anyway.  If he eats to big a bite or too much at once, he starts coughing.

With all the trial and errors on food, the other 3 garbage disposals will be very happy with their dinners.  They will split what Arri refuses to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment