Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Jan 11: My Friday was great - how was yours?

Arri here.  I logged in while mom is at work.  I have to tell you about my day yesterday.

breakfast in bed
It started with breakfast in bed.  Yep, I act all helpless and sad and mom brings me food and water in bed.  I had some canned mush and meatloaf and cookies.  When I am done, she leaves me to go back to sleep.

At 9:00 I went on a cake delivery with mom and then we went to the vet.  I love the vet. In my new helpless routine, I go behind the reception desk as soon as I get there.  They give me pets and loving.  Then I move over to where the cookie jar is.  Tammy is a pushover and I always get some treats.  They wouldn't give me any today because I had to visit the vampire.  I got on the scale and my weight was back up to 57 lbs.  I had lost 2 last week when I wasn't eating so this proves, meatloaf is the cure.  Into the exam room we go.  I was pretty happy to see the tech but for the first time in my life, I would not go out the back door.  Last time I didn't get to see my mom for 2 days.  They picked me up and carried me back to the vampire.  I was a good boy and wagged my tail while they bit me.  As soon as they put me down, I dragged them back to mom and did the happy dance.  I was silly happy.  Dr. Mike came in the room and he could not believe what he was seeing. He went to give me a cookie and mom warned him that my that my inner alligator was back. He tossed the cookie to me and the alligator (with incredibly bad aim) lunged for the cookie and missed. I thrashed on the floor until I found every crumb.  I don't know why they were laughing.  I can be a ferocious beast at times.  He called me 'The Amazing Arri'.  Ok, maybe it wasn't worded quite like that but it should be.  On the way out, I got more cookies and mom scheduled my next chemo for Jan 25.  With the way I am acting, I just might be around to need it.

Mom had a lot of cakes to work on so I spent the rest of the day in the basement with her, guarding her back like always.  I'm not getting as many treats now that I gained the weight back.  When it was time to go upstairs I was ready for the challenge.  Mom was a little concerned that it would strain my lungs  but our options are limited.  With mom giving me butt assist, I made it up.  I was panting pretty hard but I didn't have a coughing fit or anything.  Mom felt better about that.  She is certain that the chemo worked and has made the tumor smaller.  The negative part of going up the stairs is that mom was certain she had been sprayed by a skunk.  She started coughing and saying - Everybody Outside!.  Yes, the toxic fumes escaped me and she was in the line of fire.  I was not ashamed.  A dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do. While the sun was not out, it was in the 50's so I planted myself in the middle of the yard to survey my domain.  Everyone else went inside for dinner.  They have not learned the lessons I have.  Dinner will always be served and if you don't move, it will be brought to you.

picnic dinner
So I had a picnic dinner in the middle of the front yard.  Mom forgot the blanket for me to lay on and candles and a goblet of water but I forgave her because she brought me out a buffet of dinner.  I ate the meatloaf first, then the Eukenuba and then some mush for dessert.  The garbage disposals had to stay in the house and drool.



Garbage disposals wishing they could help me finish dinner


The rest of my evening was spent watching TV with dad while mom went back to work.

It was a Very Good Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment