Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Jan 7 We made it to another day.

By the end of the day yesterday, I was happy with the food Arri ate.  We discovered he enjoyed Oregon's Eukenuba.  So he had 5 handfuls of that as well as some more cookies.  

I have to force myself not to smother Arri in hugs and pets.  Last night he sat on the sofa with me.  Started on the opposite end but ended up right next to me with his head in my lap.  Oregon is such a jealous boy.  As soon as Arri put his head in my lap, Oregon jumped up and was going to squeeze between us.   I don't think so Oregon.   So he laid down on Arri's lower half - causing a coughing fit. That got him kicked off the island.  That boy needs a day of play and out of my hair before I kill him.

We had a brief sighting of his old self last night.  Uncle Darryl, Aunt Debbie, cousins Becca and Joel stopped by.  He have them a couple of good warning barks - the kind we have not heard in months.  Once everyone was in the door, Arri laid back down to recover from the excitement.

Arri had a rough spot during the night.  Thought we were going to have to tap his chest for fluid today.  He seems to have stabled out but again, not eating yet today.  His 'happy' is also missing.  His eyes are bright but the tail is still.  I am walking such a fine line between illness and chemo reaction.   I am not sure when to stop making the chemo excuse.

Thanks for bringing me mom, but I don't think I want to walk around the park today.
The 3 garbage disposals are at daycare today.  They needed to run and play and I needed them out of my hair for a bit.  We tried taking Arri to the park.  He did get excited - jumped up and grabbed a toy ready to go.  But when we got to the park, he didn't want to get out of the car.  I pulled him to the edge but still he didn't want to get out.  When he did get out, he went to the grass, peed, walked 5 feet and sat down.  He was done.

Now he is laying with his rear in a patch of sun, guarding my back as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment