Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Options

We also discuss a new type of Chemo.  It is a pill that is given at home.  You have to check in with the clinic monthly and have monthly blood tests.  This would run approximately $450 a month.  The duration was anywhere from 12 months to the life of the dog.  It also involved very careful handling/disposal  instructions.

Doing nothing?  The tumor would grow and grow and grow.  Eventually it could inhibit use of the leg.  We could have it surgically removed every month.  Been there, done that already.  We did learn that repeated removal of the same growths could make it worse.  Every time it is removed we have the potential to change the dynamic of the cancer.  It can become more aggressive as well as return and grow much faster.  After the second surgery to remove Arri’s cancer, we did not have the growth sent in for testing.  We knew it was the same thing.  The lesson to be learned here is to always send it in.  It could have changed.  Your vet may not need that kind of information but if you are considering radiation/chemo, the Oncologist does.

No comments:

Post a Comment