Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

October 11, 2011:

  Arri visits the vet to have his lump looked at.  Doesn't take a genius to know it has to go so surgery is scheduled for Oct 14, 2011.  Surgery goes well and the mass is sent away for testing.  It comes back as a Nerve Sheath Sarcoma.  This is classified as a soft tissue cancer.  I dive into research and learn it does not typically metastasize to other areas of the body.  That is good.  However, it has a 72% chance of reoccurance.  Preferred treatment is surgical removal.  Radiation is also an option.  I decide to wait it out.  If it grows back, I will look into radiation closer.  After all, Arri is almost 13.  Maybe it won't come back and radiation might do more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment