Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Does age matter?


Teva is very supportive of Arri
 Another factor I asked about was age.  Arri is almost 13.  Does it matter?    In some dogs, it might.  In MY mind it did not.  Age means nothing to Arri.  Most people are stunned when we tell them his age.  In fact, at the appointment, we had Teva along as moral support.  He was all decked out in his CCI cape and being a mellow fellow.  The technician started to address Teva because he was so mellow and Arri was a total dork.  Arri has the shell of a 13yr old, the energy level of an 8 yr old and the attitude of a 2 yr old.  I had every confidence he could deal with whatever we threw at him.

I should say at this point, I have had very few scary moments in dealing with this.  In the beginning, there was a bit of dread but overall, I have been pretty confident about the end results.  Part of me keeps thinking of how much worse it could be.  I remember sweet Maleah.  She was my 3rd CCI dog.  My brother adopted her when she was released.  Last August, they were in town and she was sick.   It was her 10th birthday and we learned she had cancer.  It was already in the lungs.  All my brother could do was to keep her comfortable.  She only lived 2 more weeks.  I have to believe because we caught it early and acted quickly, Arri’s chances look pretty good.

1 comment: