Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 13, 2012:

 5th day of treatment.  Old man winter may have been late to the party, but he knows how to make an entrance.  4+ inches of snow and still coming down.  I had to work today and Tim was off so he took Arri to his treatment.  They had to leave early to allow time for the weather and accidents.  They got home a little later than normal and Arri has a bandage on his leg.  Tim lets Arri in the house and turns around to go shovel the driveway.  I open the door and shout out….’ummmm, so what is with the bandage?’  “I don’t know, I didn’t ask”.  Sigh .. he did say the appointment was about twice as long.  Apparently Arri didn’t come out of sedation as well today.  Maybe that is the result it being the 5th day of treatment in a row.  Now he has two days off. 
Later in the evening, I removed the bandage from his foot.  This was his front foot.  At first, I didn’t notice why it was wrapped.  There had been no gauze, just the stretchy, sticky bandage wrap.  A bit later, I notice a very large welt on his foot.  It was at the connection of the foot and ‘pinky’ toe.  There was a blood spot in the middle.  Had it been summer, I would have said it was a bee sting reaction.  It seemed to be an extremely odd location for a needle.  His ‘good’ back leg had been shaved for easy access to the vein.  I’m confused.  I’ll have to ask on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment