Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The decision

By the end of the consult, Tim and I were on the same page.  We agreed that radiation was the way to go. In addition to all the information the Dr. gave us, they also had a lot of success stories posted around the office.  One of them hit close to Tim’s heart and he was convinced we should try it.  I am very glad I didn’t have to do this without his support.  Dr. Ottnod was glad we were going with radiation.  The next step was to send the test results and information to Colorado and get the plan for treatment.  She expected that information to be returned the next day (Friday).  They would call me to confirm and we would start treatment on Monday.  I don’t know if that always move that fast or if the fast growing cancer prompted it.  We discussed time of day for the appointment.  I am normally a ‘get it done and out the way person’ but I was overruled with arguments of commuter traffic.  Our route takes us through Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Jackson and Ann Arbor.  Lots of opportunities for traffic issues.  Kathy, our radiation tech, suggested 12:00.  Ok, my day is shot but I gotta do what I gotta do and I’ll get it done.

Naturally before we left, we had to pay for today’s visit and the treatment plan – the Colorado portion.  Ouch.  Radiation hurts already and we haven’t even started.

2 comments:

  1. Where are you taking her for treatment? Is it everyday? How long are you there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we go to the Animal Cancer and imaging clinic in Canton. Mon - Fri.

    ReplyDelete