Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday, January 9, 2012

 Started my day as I would normally if I have things to do but nothing critical.  I played a little bit of hookie over the weekend so I did have a list of things to do.  9:30 am…I am talking to a customer on the phone with a voicemail beeps in.  I check vm and it is the Oncology office.  They have all the paperwork in and they are ready to go.  They will see Arri TODAY at 12:00.  This causes my head to explode.  I am in a sudden frenzy.  If I am to make the appointment on time, I have to leave NOW.  It takes 2.5 hrs if there are no delays.  I start rushing around getting what I need and getting ready to leave the house. I wake up Tim, who is on night shift, to let him know.  This is how frenzied I was.  I didn’t need to wake him.  A note would have worked.  Duh….
Then I realized Arri had not fasted.  I fed him at 6.  I call the Dr and ask, do we come in or wait until tomorrow?  She says 6 hours fast is fine, come on in.  Great, back into frenzy mode.   It takes me 15 minutes to get my act together to leave.  Guess what, no gas in the car.  Another delay to fill up the tank.  My day really did start out very nice.  I speed just a bit to get to the appointment.  I didn’t dare go too fast.  In just two trips over, I have noticed there are A LOT of police hanging out on I-94. 

We are 15 minutes late but we get there.  Since this is his first treatment, it will take about an hour so I go find a McDonalds to grab lunch and wait.  He comes out of the appointment somewhat drunk.  There were a bunch of dogs in the waiting area so I met Kathy and Arri at a side door.  Kathy was holding up his rear end with a sling.  I guided his front end while she held up the back.  We got him in the van and headed home.  It was 1:50 pm.  I had a meeting with a bride at 4:30….why do I think I am going to be late for that too?  Arri would not lay down in the back of the van.  He is a front seat dog.  He likes to look out the window and hold your hand.  It was an effort to do it but he crawled into the front seat for the trip home.  He was so tired.  He was sitting up and his eyes would droop closed, then his chin would slip down and suddenly his head to pop up, alert, for only a minute and he would do it again.  An hour from home, he gave up and crawled in the back for a nap.  Thank you. 

We pull in the driveway at 4:25.  There are two extra cars.  Yep, I’m late for my appointment.  Wonder how long they have been waiting?  Tim said about 7 minutes but he settled them in with some photo albums to review.  I wonder if I will hear back from them?  Sigh….bible study tonight and then I can crawl in bed and do it again tomorrow.  Maybe a little less excitement tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment