Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

March 9: rough night

The signs are getting clearer.  The day is coming soon.

I worked 12 hours yesterday so I didn't get much Arri observation time.  What I did see was that he is not making much attempt to stand up.  He is moving around on his own but he seemed to move the most when someone hoisted his rear in the air for him.  His eyes are missing their sparkle.

Arri would not go outside before bed last night.  He wouldn't stay standing.  He didn't even come into the bedroom.  I climbed into bed and listened.  I finally heard his toenails on the tile.  He was trying but he couldn't get up.  At that point I went and helped him. He wanted to get on the bed but didn't seem to want to do his part of the assisted jumping.  I started to lift him and suddenly he was sorry he did not do his part.  He is not keen on being carried.

I woke up many times to him coughing and panting.  He was restless at 2 am so I offered him water.  Not interested.  I lifted him off the bed and carried him to the kitchen.  He stood.  I walked to the front door and opened it.  Went back to Arri, he was laying down.  I hoisted his rear and he went 5 steps before his back leg collapsed.  We have been seeing more of that in the last 3 days. I helped him again and he got to the front door and paused.  He was about to lay down.  Nope. No way.  He was going out.  I gave him a little rear end motivation and he went out.  He paused once before continuing to the grass.  He started to pee and his leg gave out.  I helped him up and kept walking on the cleared-of-snow path.  Of course he had to go #2 and headed for the snow.  The snow is hard and crunchy and not easy to move over.  He assumed the position and as he tried to step away, his leg gave out again. More assistance and he moved to a pile of snow and laid down.  It was a beautiful clear night.  The stars were out so we sat and watched them for a while.   I was sorry it was 25 degrees and not 75 degrees.  We could have camped out.   I went and got the sling to help Arri in.  We paused a few times but I never felt the sling take the bulk of his weight.

Back to bed.  Summer senses something is up.  She is sleeping right against Arri now.  Poor guy.  Having her close is nice but she is a fire breathing dragon - she radiates some heat.  I have the fan pointed at them.

Tim gets home from work.  Arri is not excited or thumping his tail.  He won't touch the canned food but will eat cookies and eukenuba.  When offered the right food, he eats just fine.  He hasn't gotten out of bed yet.  When I check on him, he is soundly sleeping.   I pet his side and he opens his eyes but his is not yet interested in joining me outside.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment