Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 5 Daily check up

Arri had a pretty good day yesterday.  Get him too excited and he will start the bronchial coughing.  Tim took him to the park just to see what would happen.   Arri played him good.   They arrive and Arri doesn't want to leave the van.  So Tim waits, and waits.  Finally he announces the trip is over and they are going home.  Arri jumps out of the van and starts his walk.  He doesn't go far but he does stretch his legs a bit.  Tim can see he really wants to go to the township building because workers throw bread out to the birds and once Arri learned that, every trip must include an attempt to detour to the feeders.  No - he is never allowed to eat anything but he sure tries.  And he never forgets.

Last night was a rough one.  Every time Arri shifted he started coughing.  It reminds me of bronchitis.  As long as you don't jiggle the gunk in your lungs, you can breathe without coughing.  I thought today would be a trip to the vet to discuss last rites.  The chemo isn't working.  Tumors continue to grow.  The vet really can't do anything else but keep him comfortable.

I got out of bed dreading making the call.  All I want to do it talk details but I can't.  I think about it alot but I don't really want to talk to anyone that can actually do something about it.  Not yet.  Instead, I send an email to the crematorium to ask for more information.  If the ground were not frozen, we would plant him by the raspberries and the cats.  But it is snowing out.  6 inches of fresh snow expected today.

Arri ate breakfast well.  He didn't quite finish it but Tim gave him a big breakfast and I have cut back and started giving him lunch.  So now I am starting a daily/hourly (whatever) quality of life checklist.  A mental one anyway.  Some things that run through my head...

  
Arri's first trip outside today
  • Eats Breakfast - good.   
  • When the time comes for Arri to get out of bed. he did so willingly and once off the bed he stayed standing instead of just laying back down...good.  
  • When i told him it was time to go out, I got a goofy grin and tail wag....good.  
  • walked around the yard, completing his business without coughing...good
  • followed me room to room...good ...he has the energy and desire
  • followed me down to the bakery...no...bad.. but not horrible.  he knows his limits and that trip is too much.  I am ok with that.
  • when I checked on him after working awhile, he saw my head peek around the corner and he  barked at me...alert...good
  • wanted to go for a car ride...yes ...good
  • when I got to the store, he wanted to get out....good... but he wasn't on the ride for that purpose.  triggers a thought to stop at the park on the way home.
  • wanted to get out and walk at the park...yes...good  At first he didn't walk 10 feet but I gave him time to think about it.  while my back was turned he went for his walk.  I turned around and he was on his way.  He made it the length of the parking lot before stopping to sit.  I waited and when he was ready to go, he started back to the car.  It was a good trip.  No coughing or gagging.
So now he is resting from the trip.  His breathing is steady and strong.  After laying still for awhile, he will cough next time he gets up.  Time to start monitoring how long the coughing lasts and how quick he recovers.  

In the end, I think his lungs will give out before his attitude does.  Time will tell.  Today is not the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment