Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8: demo day

Today was an interesting change in my schedule.  I had to be at the middle school at 7:45 am for Career Day.  I have been going every year for quite a few years now.  I don't go for the bakery, I go to talk about Canine Companions for Independence.

It all started yesterday when my co-presenter came down with the flu. (Hope you are feeling better Beth and thanks for keeping it to yourself)  Doing presentations on my own is not a big deal.  The only reason being on my own this  time is difficult is because it is actually 4 x 40 minute presentations.  By the 3rd one, I am normally going horse.  It is also alot for a single dog to deal with.  Lots of kids.  By the last presentation, the dogs are usually pretty wiped out. Instead of it just being Oregon and me, I decided at the last minute that Glamis needed to come too.  He is a retired service dog and still knows his stuff.

The day did not start all that well.  Arri had a rough night breathing.  Then when Tim offered him breakfast, he had little interest.  Eventually we found he would eat dry dog food.  The bad part was that he inhaled it and ended up in distress when he couldn't decided if it needed to come back up or stay down.  He kept it down but we learned to just hand feed him so he gets it slower.

Next, since I had to leave, I had to force Arri off the bed and outside.  He was not happy to have his schedule rushed and was fairly un-cooperative.  Every time I tried to give him a butt up to walk outside, he outright refused to stand.  I finally tricked him by opening the door to the garage and then the garage door.  He thought he was going for a car ride so he ran outside.  Boy did I feel bad.  He toileted but then I had to give him the bad news that only Oregon and Glamis were going.  Even Summer gave me a dirty look for leaving her behind.  Tim was home but he was sleeping (with earplugs in) so it wasn't like he was going to be great company.

The presentations went fine.  Glamis had a ball.  He was so happy to be out and working.  Pulling my sock off and handing me my shoe were big hits with the kids.  And sure enough, by the last demo, Oregon had had enough.  He would only do something if I asked Glamis to do it first.   But that worked both ways.  Glamis really can not do an UP anymore.  He tries, but it doesn't work.  Glamis was not going to be shown up by the 'pup'.  Oregon did an UP, Glamis was right there trying.  He succeeded twice but mostly he just bounced.  Maybe we can work on that back leg strength and try again next year.

Home from the demos, Arri was laying in the bedroom doorway.  He was subdued.  No interest in going outside.  It was like that all day.  He is missing some energy and interest today.  Since he was the only one that did not go outside, I am pretty sure he is the one that made a mess in the living room.  I was down in the bakery.  I thought I had heard Tim was up and moving around.  From the bakery, I smelled it.  Over the smell of sugar.  I thought Tim was fixing a pretty nasty breakfast.  I let my nose direct me and found that Tim was not yet out of bed and the nasty smell was on the living room rug.  Oregon and Glamis were huddled together in the middle of the kitchen looking over their shoulder at Arri.  Sorry Arri, but they ratted you out.  At that point, when I gave him a butt lift, he stood and went outside.  That would be the other negative about Arri's day.  He is not trying to stand on his own.  He will spin around and look for assistance.  Not sure if that is related to his energy level or if there is something more going on.  I have found more growths on him that are not BB's but masses.  I have found more BB's also.  He has one growing on the outer rim of his other ear.  Pretty soon I will not be able to scratch either ear afraid I will irritate the growths.

At the moment, Arri is resting peacefully on the bed.  He did his part to jump up with my help.  I should have a bit more time to spend with him tomorrow.  The last two days have been way to busy with work and he has not had my back outside the bakery.  He doesn't want to make the trip down the stairs.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment