Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Feb 8: A lesson in writing

So I proved my own theory perfectly yesterday.   By writing down all my options I was able to free some space in my brain for other things.

What I learned was:
1.  My CCI family is absolutely incredible.  Not only did they offer up other options but I was offered a place to stay,  Arri was offered a place to stay, dogs were offered to keep Arri company.  It blows my mind.  and brought tears to my eyes.  Thank you!!!  You are the best.

2.  I was able to step back and get a fresh perspective.  Unless something significant changes medically, Arri will stay home alone on graduation day and have a Grandma and Grandpa (aka my parents) hang out with him for a few hours.

3.  I also came to some light bulb moment observations, namely:

             Arri's mother is a bit nuts and should be medicated.  Some of you already were aware of
              this but were too kind to say it to me.

             Arri will be perfectly fine staying home alone.  He is a big boy.

             Arri's mother is the one suffering from separation anxiety - not Arri - although he is the one
             that follows me around the house.  Mom just has a hard time leaving him.  Again, many
            of you  recognized this already but were too kind to slap me upside the head and tell me to
            get a grip.  I consider myself head slapped.

4.  I have started the 8 step (day) program for temporarily dealing with my separation anxiety.
                Step 1:  The roughly 2 hr round trip cookie delivery yesterday was done alone.  I had
                             every  intention of taking Arri with for the ride but I didn't.
               Step 2:  Work in the bakery for 1/2 a day  - gating the stairs so Arri can not follow me
                             down.   Pretend Arri is alone and that Tim is not really upstairs with him.  Do not
                            check  on him every hour.
               Step 3:  Go to the bridal show on Saturday without guilt.  Somebody's gotta make the
                            donuts (cake) around here.  Again - pretending Tim is not home with Arri which
                            he will be.
                Step 4:  Go to church on Sunday without guilt because Arri wants to go with.  Sneak out
                            another door if necessary to avoid the guilt he will throw at me.
                Step 5 - 8:  spend the day with Arri since the first 4 days were just too much time away : )

This is one instance where working from home just isn't the best thing.  If I worked outside the home, leaving them home for long hours would be routine.  Surely if a couple million dogs survive this process daily, mine will.   For the most part, I can count on the house not burning down but I just might find something torn to shreds as a welcome home gift. (not really because they don't get free roam of the house, but then again, kennel pads make great confetti)

Today is step 2 and I have already found a need to go upstairs for one reason or another 3 times in 2 hours.  Maybe I need an intervention?


No comments:

Post a Comment