Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Feb 5: Snow and more snow

We have been doing a lot of snow shoveling lately.  A week ago it was in the 50's with no snow and now we have shoveled well over a foot.  The sun is out and has melted the driveway.  I could have predicted all this snow as we were supposed to be in Florida this week.  We cancelled the trip not knowing how Arri would do.  Physically, he probably would have been fine but mentally, it was a question.  He has been so attached to me, I didn't want to make him sick because we left.  Yes, I also would have been sick and unable to enjoy the trip if I had left him.

On Saturday we went to my parents house to shovel them out. We had 10 inches of snow in 24 hours.  Arri came with.  The street had been plowed so we parked there and started to work.  We left the van door open and Arri laid there watching.  He didn't show any interest in getting out to visit Grandma and Grandpa....at least, not until Grandpa opened the door to the house.  I don't think Arri believed they were home.  He got excited then and ran into the house - going straight for the cookie jar.  Grandma reported that once he got his cookie, he went on a search and rescue mission to save any tissues that were accidentally thrown in the trash.   When we were done, we went inside to chat.  Arri would not leave my side.  He stayed within 3 feet of me.  I think he was afraid we were going to leave without him.

Sunday again, we had to wrestle Arri out of the way so we could go to church.  He is not at all happy with being left behind.  For years, when we put on our coats to go anywhere, he would run right into the bedroom and lay on the bed.  We never had any arguments from him.  He got his cookie and slept the whole time we were gone.  Those days are long gone.

Have a sweep a path through the yard
Monday morning, we were back and Grandma and Grandpa's to shovel again.  We had 5 more inches with the prediction of 3 - 4 more.  This time, Glamis joined Arri.  Glamis was more than happy to go in the house.  By the time I opened the door for Arri to go in, I could hear that Glamis had found his way into Grandma and Grandpa's bedroom.  He surprised them as they had not heard us arrive.  Nothing like a cold, wet nose to wake you up in the morning.  I won't rat them out and say how late in the morning it was to find them still in bed but I can assure you it was not the crack of dawn.


Arri, Summer, Oregon & Glamis - Feb 5

As far as his health, Arri is doing well.  He moves around well - even in the deep snow.  I have only found one new BB in the last few days.  This one is on his chin.  None of them seem to be growing at this point but they also are not disappearing.   He has started with the cough/gag again.  Only once or twice a day but still, that tells me, something in his chest has started to grow again.  His next visit to MSU will be on Feb 18.  It will be an impatient wait if the coughing increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment