Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Feb 12: Separation anxiety follow up

Friday ended up ok.  I worked the afternoon and evening without the dogs around.  It turns out, all the dogs were a little unhappy about that.  When I finally emerged from the dungeon and sat in front of my chair on the floor - I had to as my chair was occupied by a princess.  Oregon was the first to flop across my legs and leaned up against my chest.  Summer was not going to give up her seat so she wrapped her head around my shoulders like a scarf.  When they were securely velcroed to me, Arri plastered himself against my side.  There was no room for Glamis but that was ok as he preferred to do the happy dance dribbling a ball around the room.

My Saturdays are always very busy and stressful and the dogs are accustomed the the 'go away' command.  They give me some space or suffer the consequences of someone with a very short fuse.  In the evening I go into shutdown mode and we just veg in front of the TV.

Sunday, Arri blocked the door when it was time for church.  He is such a stinker.  We have gone a few days without any coughing/gagging but today it started again.  A bit more severe than anything we have seen in a month.  Arri still wants to go to the park and it doesn't seem to trigger any breathing issues so he is allowed to go once a day.  For the most part, the coughing happens in the evening/night.  A few more BB's have been found.  He has a larger one growing on his chin.  It is the size of a pea.  Considering the number of them I have found, only 4 have grown.

Today is day 6 of my separation anxiety program.  For the most part, it is going ok.  It is only 7 am and we have already had an issue today.  For at least a week, we have been dealing with Oregon needing to toilet between 3 and 4 am.  It doesn't matter if he went at midnight, he goes around 4, again at 5 and usually again around 6.  For the last few days, I have been unable to get back to sleep after this lovely interruption to sleep.  Today, I gave up and decided to go to the gym at 5 am.  I would feed the dogs when I got back.  I had no reason to think this would be a problem but when I got home, Tim was up and all the dogs were outside and had already had breakfast.  Arri cried and whined when I left and got Tim up.  Have I mentioned, he is a stinker - Arri that is.

I went to take a shower and Arri stood by the door expectantly.  I invited him in but he just stood there.  I tried to close the door and he blocked me.  He finally came into the bathroom with me and laid down in the closet.  He used to do this every morning so it was nice to have his company again.  I had a feeling about his motives and I was right.  He just wanted to snort my hair.  Arri has always had a weird fettish with my hair conditioner.  Before my hair is dry, I lean over to let him run his snout through my damp hair.  You would think this stuff was catnip.  He just goes all silly, dancing, sneezing and repeatedly running his face through my hair. This morning I got a glimpse of the young Arri.  Of course, now that he is fed, watered and had a snort of conditioner, he is back in bed sleeping - along with everyone else.  Oregon is at my feet snoring to wake the dead.  I guess I need to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment