Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012 first tripawd swim

Yesterday I decided that this morning, Arri was going to the beach.  I would like to do hydro therapy to get Arri's strength up but there is no facility within a reasonable distance.  We also do not have a pool.  If I could figure out how to get one and use it as a tax write off......So we do the closest option available.  We head to Lake Michigan....only 2 miles away. 

6:45 am....load up the car.   We go early in the morning when no one is there - primarily because it is illegal.  Yes, there are a few dog beaches around - but they are not exactly accessable to a disabled dog.  Most of them are at least a 1/4 mile walk to get to the 'legal' beach and that always involves going over a dune.  Arri is doing great in his recovery but I would like him to be able to walk tomorrow.  The beach we went to is very small considering it is on Lake Michigan.  It is boarderd on one end with huge property saving boulders - no beach in front  of them to walk around and the other end is a huge property saving wall.  So essentially, we are in a small cove - kind of.

The sky is hazy and it is 68 degrees.  We did not get any storms like those on the other side of the pond or those and hour south of us.   The water is almost like glass.   Perfect for swimming.   Arri stops to sniff and pee on his way to the water.  Not near the water drive he used to have.  I guess he has learned that the water isn't going anywhere, he can linger in the sand a bit.  Despite the calm water, he is hesitant. 



Thankfully, it is a nice slope into the water and not a drop off.  Depending on currents, you could have a sudden drop instead.  The water is also nice and clear today. 
Arri does some swimming on his own but it is obvious that the missing leg makes staying afloat difficult.  It takes a lot more work.  I came prepared to swim with him so I put the sling under him and hold up his rear.  He tried to go out deeper but he seemed to know his limits and would turn around to get the sand under his feet.  If I pick up a life vest for him, I imagine he will try to swim to Chicago once again.  No crazy dog running today but he chased down some smells, rolled in the sand and had a lot of fun.  I made him quit before he was ready because I do want him to be able to move tomorrow.  If the weather holds and no storms reach us, we may just do it again tomorrow.







1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story! Love that Arri seems to know his limits! And I love the photo of him rolling in the sand. Happy boy!

    ReplyDelete