Why am I writing this?

I have known many, many people who have had their dogs die from cancer. In many cases, the cancer was too far advanced to treat. Of those who did treat, you don't know the details of what they went through. It sounds quite simple when summarized with 'we went though chemo and he lived 2 years'. There is a whole lot more emotion and decisions to be made. Treatment is not always simple.

This blog is my own personal experience. Some days are filled with frustration, others are filled with laughter. If anyone is offended, I can't apologize for my emotions. I typed what I felt at the time. It does not mean I feel the same today. If you want clarification, just ask. No matter my frustrations, I know my vet and oncologist are doing a fantastic job of caring for Arri. He just is not co-operating by being a 'typical' case.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

March 19, 2012

Yesterday, I was taking a photo of Arri’s leg, prior to surgery.I didn’t do that with the first growth we found.It gives me a real size to refer to.Over time, my memory will make it the size of a football.Anyway, I was touching his leg.I know, I’m not supposed to do that because I keep finding stuff.And yes, I found stuff.For lack of better knowledge, I will call the location a tendon running down the front of his shin.I felt two nodules; small, probably the size of a grain of rice but felt like boulders.About ½ inch away, I found a third. The third one could have been scar tissue as it was under a previous surgery area.Note to self, tell the doctor about them before surgery.



Dr. Walshaw called to let me know about the surgery.  All went well.  The lumps I pointed out do appear to be cancer.  They did not remove them.  They did take out the main mass and sent it for biopsy.  I’m not happy that the cancer is back already.  I really didn’t expect that.  We have only been done with radiation for 6 weeks.  I have no idea what happens next.  I have the feeling I will have to make a decision tomorrow.  If you don’t decide during the current appointment, you have to make another appointment to tell them – so they can recheck him and charge you an office fee.  Sorry, very cynical about the fees they charge.  A lot of money for very little progress.  They delayed the cancer growth by 10 weeks – maybe. The main mass was there from the start.

At what point do you stop treatment?  Another round of radiation?  Not too keen on that as it didn’t work last time.  Chemo – they said last time it would maybe be for the rest of his life.  Would it make a difference?  Just let the cancer grow – disabling over time?  Traumatic amputation at his age?  It would take care of the problem but he is 13 and that just might be one surgery he does not rebound from.  This is such a hard decision because Arri’s health is really great.  Happy, energetic, no apparent pain, eating and sleeping well.  It would be easier if he acted sick but how can I possibly stop trying when clearly he isn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment